About Sensei Miwako Sakabayashi
A native of Japan (and proudly authentic!), Sensei Miwako Sakabayashi grew up with the Abacus. From the age of 7, when she first put her hand to a heavenly bead her path was set. At the age of 12 she placed third in Japan’s National Abacus Competition, and her Abacus math accomplishments as an adult garnered a prestigious position in Japan’s banking industry.
Sensei Miwako came to the U.S. in 1992 and settled in Oregon. With her love of the abacus and a passion for working with children and teaching, she founded the Japanese Abacus Math School – JAMS – in 2001. For Miwako, there’s no greater sense of accomplishment than seeing a student’s face light up with a confident smile when they discover their mental calculation abilities and succeed with their class work.
And Sensei Miwako is a hands-on person – maybe that’s why she’s so skilled with the Abacus. She’s captured degrees in calligraphy, flower arranging, tea ceremony and sewing kimonos. Beyond the classroom, she still enjoys those activities, as well as getting creative in the kitchen or preparing genuine Japanese cuisine.
Abacus Teaching Experience:
- Japanese Abacus Math School – 2001 to present
- Richmond Elementary School, Portland, Oregon – January 1998 to December 1999
- Woodstock Elementary School, Portland Oregon – Fall 1999
- 2001 Working on Abacus pilot program for 4th graders along with Dr. Leo Richards, Director, Montana Abacus Institute and Former Professor, University of Southern California.
- Saturday Academy 2007 Summer
- Children’s Hour Academy May 2007-June 2008
- Village Home (Home School) Fall 2008
- Oregon College of Art and Craft Spring 2009
- Oregon Episcopal School Spring 2009
- Sherwood School District – Summer 2009
- Portland State University – 2009 to Present
JAMS – The Japanese Abacus Math School…
Where your child’s success really adds up!
Stop in or call 503.419.8040 to register today or schedule you no obligation preview of our Abacus math lessons!
Register Now for Summer Abacus Camp!
Registration is Now Open! Register Today!! Register as a New Student :: Register as a Returning Student Summer Camp – 6/27-8/18 (8 weeks) Tuesday-Friday Beginner 3:30-4:30, 6-7pm Tuition: $720 Intermediate, PreAdvanced, and Advanced 4:30-6pm Tuition: $360 Homework option 4 weeks – $125 8 weeks – $250 There is no make up week, just make up as you go! Registration Deadline is 6/16 (Fri.). If you are not taking ...
From Our Parents & Students...
I attended JAMS from age 7 to 14 and my skills in Abacus have helped me achieve a level of skill three years ahead of the math classes I've taken. In fact, when I graduated I was valedictorian with a perfect 4.0 GPA and I achieved a perfect math score on the SAT, which gained me Oregon State's Presidential Scholarship. Sensei was a great teacher and person, teaching every class with exuberance and making it fun. She truly cares about all of her students and I will use the skills I learned for the rest of my life. -- Alvin Yu (OSU : Presidential Scholar)