JAMS ADDS NEW TEACHER TO TEAM
October 30, 2015 – Portland, Oregon – JAMS is pleased to announce that Stephanie Cavanaugh has joined the school as a teacher. Ms. Cavanaugh was selected based on her teaching experience and familiarity with Japanese culture (in addition to being fluent in Japanese, she lived in Japan in 2011 – 2012).
“We’re very excited to have Stephanie join our team,” said Sensei Miwako. “She will enhance our ability to teach our students, as well as providing an opportunity to increase our enrollment. It’s not a common thing to find a person with her classroom experience and knowledge of the Japanese culture. That makes for a big win for us and we’re looking forward to watching Stephanie help our students to grow their skills!”
stephanie-cavanaughABOUT MS. CAVANAUGH
Stephanie relocated to Oregon in 2014, and shares a home with her husband Robby (who works at Nike) and their Shiba-Inu dog, Haku. She has fallen in love with the natural beauty of Oregon and enjoys hiking and exploring as often as possible. Also outside of the classroom Stephanie loves to cook, read, and record voice-overs. She has a BA in Japanese Language and Culture from UCLA, is fluent in Japanese and fell in love with teaching in a tiny town in Japan. Excited to join the JAMS teaching team, Stephanie has been awed by what the children can do at JAMS through learning with the abacus… and looks forward to helping them achieve their learning goals!
- University of California—Los Angeles (2006-2009) / GPA: 3.73 / BA: Japanese Language and Culture
- Early Childhood Education—Child & Adolescent Development, Principles and Practices of Teaching Young
Children, Infant and Toddler Development, Child Family and Community
- UCLA Extension—Linguistics for TESL Educators, Methods of Teaching ESL
- Teacher: Childroots Center for Young Children, Portland, OR (2014 to 2015)
- ELD Teacher: Excelsior School, Pasadena, CA (2012 to 2013)
- Elementary English Language Teacher: Interac Co Ltd. Tokyo, Japan (2011 to 2012)
- ELD Tutor: SLK Learning Center, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA (2012)
- English Language Teacher: Kaplan International Center at Whittier College, Whittier, CA (2012)
Nothing fuels the fire for math than discovering you can be a math genius! If you’re not sure Abacus will help your child, sign up for a free preview of our online Abacus Classes – there’s no obligation to register! Come meet with us, watch some kids in action, calculating at the speed of light! We guarantee you will have fun watching these little geniuses.
SCHEDULE AN EVALUATION
ABOUT JAMS & ONLINE ABACUS CLASSES
JAMS is proud to be the only Abacus math school in Portland and in the State of Oregon certified by the League of Soroban of Americas. Since 2001, we have dedicated to Abacus & Anzan instruction and to building a strong foundation of Mental Mathematics along with lifelong skills. JAMS empowers children to achieve academic success, so they will grow in areas that go well beyond the classroom. JAMS parents can expect their child to improve in 5 different areas: concentration, discipline, problem-solving, time management, and confidence. This is the teaching approach at JAMS since opening its doors.