HOW EXAM WEEKS HELP INTERMEDIATE & ABOVE LEVEL STUDENTS GROW
At JAMS we believe we teach our students more than just math – it is life skills of focus, preparation and confidence. Our mandatory Exam Weeks help instill a sense of accomplishment in our students.
What is Exam Week?
- Exam Week refers to the 4 times during a given JAMS academic year when we host exams in accordance with the League for Soroban Education for America http://lseusa.org/index.html
- Exam Week applies only to students in the Intermediate Levels and above. Exam Week is mandatory and is held towards the end of the term.
- Beginner students do not have Exam Week but have in-house exams for graduating to levels 9, 10 and 11.
Is there a fee for taking such exams? What is included in such fees?
- Fees for Exam Week are added to your tuition at the beginning of the term.
- Students in ‘bridge class’ are offered an exception for one term only.
- JAMS conducts the exams at the same location as JAMS classes.
- The tests are graded by the League for Soroban Education for America. Students who pass the exam receive a certificate from the League for Soroban Education for America.
How do I help my child prepare for Exam Week?
- We help students prepare for the exam during class.
- Parents need to focus on their children completing their homework; no additional parent preparation is needed.
Is there anything I can do to help my child be confident for Exam Week?
- Review their recent work in their JAMS textbooks.
- Identify their common/frequent mistakes; understanding one’s weakness is the key.
- Re-do some of the problems 5 times each that were common mistakes.
- Cover answers with sticky note or papers so your child can focus on solving the problem correctly.
- Speed and accuracy are very important for the exam. Encourage your child to use a stopwatch or their JAMS timer. Students are trained to time their work per instructions on top of the page.
Nothing fuels the fire for math than discovering you can be a math genius! If you’re not sure Abacus will help your child, sign up for a free preview of our online Abacus Classes – there’s no obligation to register! Come meet with us, watch some kids in action, calculating at the speed of light! We guarantee you will have fun watching these little geniuses.
SCHEDULE A CLASSROOM OBSERVATION
ABOUT JAMS & ONLINE ABACUS CLASSES
JAMS is proud to be the only Abacus math school in Portland and in the State of Oregon certified by the League of Soroban of Americas. Since 2001, we have dedicated to Abacus & Anzan instruction and to building a strong foundation of Mental Mathematics along with lifelong skills. JAMS empowers children to achieve academic success, so they will grow in areas that go well beyond the classroom. JAMS parents can expect their child to improve in 5 different areas: concentration, discipline, problem-solving, time management, and confidence. This is the teaching approach at JAMS since opening its doors.