WHY JAMS STUDENTS EXCEL IN MORE AREAS THAN MATH
Often times, I’m asked how abacus and mental math skills help our students excel in areas beyond math. As a teacher, and a parent I have noticed our JAMS students progress quickly, keep enthusiasm about education and ultimately, excel across all academic subjects.
Generally, JAMS students use mental math for academic purposes. They have the ability to mentally calculate basic equations and even standardized test questions. Whether your child is having a having a hard time at school or preparing for examinations such as SAT, GRE, and GMAT, Japanese Abacus Math School will be there to guide your child every step of the way.
However, JAMS goes beyond academic excellence because we teach the Abacus & Anzan method. Every student will learn problem solving techniques using an abacus. This will give any child an indisputable advantage to shine in subjects related to STEM.
Abacus teaches kids to:
- Concentrate. Nowadays, most kids are constantly distracted by numerous new technologies. It can be a hurdle in learning, but JAMS students have no problem in concentrating. In fact, even the youngest students can focus for as long as 2 hours! A 7-year-old JAMS student can easily do mental calculation of one digit and two digit numbers. See Hannah’s swift calculation skills by watching this video.
- Be confident. Having a high self esteem is extremely important not just for kids, but also for adults. At JAMS, our students are at least 2 math levels ahead than their peers. Your child will never feel left behind in different STEM subjects. A 16-year-old JAMS student was able to do Algebra equations in less than a minute. Simply amazing! Watch it all here.
- Be organized. Abacus students are trained to be particular in the direction and placement of the abacus beads. They will in turn be very methodical and analytical. Efficient study habits are developed. Thus, your child will excel with other subjects as well.
- Be quick. JAMS students are always on their feet. They are motivated to do better than their last recorded time. With the help of an abacus, their calculation skills are strengthened, and they feel less pressure and stress. This video shows Lukas and Jenna’s ability to calculate addition and subtraction. They are just 7 and 8 years old, but they can solve equations faster than a calculator.
- Discover their visualization skills. It’s not only the logical reasoning that is enhanced, but also the power to visualize. JAMS students are taught to visualize every situation before trying to solve the problem.
- I have been teaching for two decades now and always strive for excellence in my classroom. Learning the abacus goes beyond learning math. Your child will gain essential life skills that he won’t learn on his own. At JAMS, your child is assured to have a strong foundation of mathematics. He will become confident and never feel behind his peers.
It is important to empower your child to be best that he can be, and with our help, we will nurture your child’s curious mind. In JAMS, we believe that every child has the ability to be a high achiever. We will help you prepare your child for the future. Schedule a free assessment now or you can sign up using our new student enrollment form: https://jamsportland.com/new-student/
At JAMS, we will help your child overcome the fear of numbers. Your child will become more confident and most importantly, he will gain an important lifelong skill. For more information, just visit JamsPortland.com to learn more about the teaching pillars of the abacus.
Nothing fuels the fire for math than discovering you can be a math genius! If you’re not sure Abacus will help your child, sign up for a free preview of our online Abacus Classes – there’s no obligation to register! Come meet with us, watch some kids in action, calculating at the speed of light! We guarantee you will have fun watching these little geniuses.
PREVIEW A CLASS
SCHEDULE A FREE ASSESSMENT
ABOUT JAMS & ONLINE ABACUS CLASSES
JAMS is proud to be the only Abacus math school in Portland and in the State of Oregon certified by the League of Soroban of Americas. Since 2001, we have dedicated to Abacus & Anzan instruction and to building a strong foundation of Mental Mathematics along with lifelong skills. JAMS empowers children to achieve academic success, so they will grow in areas that go well beyond the classroom. JAMS parents can expect their child to improve in 5 different areas: concentration, discipline, problem-solving, time management, and confidence. This is the teaching approach at JAMS since opening its doors.